As a proud mother who deeply values family, I feel a natural empathy with my Family Law clients. My own family has grown and changed a lot in my lifetime. I can relate to what many clients are going through, because I’ve been there.
I have been practicing Family Law and serving the community in one form or another since college. My first job – back when I was just age 17 – involved clerking for a Family Law firm. I loved that experience, which set the trajectory for my career.
I graduated from Loyola Law School in the top 20% of my class. I have been licensed in California to practice law for over a decade now. My passion for this work continues to grow, and my extensive legal background has prepared me to help families meet and overcome their legal challenges as they pertain to family complexities. Working with my fellow attorneys, Paula and Peg, is a wonderful experience. We complement one another in terms of personality, and all of us share a deep commitment to the law, to our Firm, and to our clients.
My clients face difficult, painful situations – with divorce, property division, and juvenile dependency matters. They come to me overwhelmed by emotion, so they need effective, steady help. My approach is to defuse emotionally charged situations, to distill the facts, and to determine legal standing. My goal is to help clients remain grounded in reality – to provide stability, support, and focus while working towards outcomes that are legally attainable.
In 2014, I became a Certified Family Law Specialist (CFLS) recognized by the California State Bar. Earning this expert distinction is not easy. To obtain legal specialty certification, a lawyer must have practiced in the specialty area, in my case, Family Law, for five years. The attorney then has to complete 45 hours of Continuing Legal Education, demonstrate achievement in Family Law, and garner express positive feedback from practicing Family Law attorneys and judges. Finally, the attorney seeking CFLS certification must pass a second California Bar exam, tailored specifically to the practice area of Family Law. I am proud to have accomplished this and to have earned Family Law Specialist certification in my first ten years of practice. I am also approved to sit as a pro-tem judge in Family Law. In addition, I am experienced in juvenile dependency law.
If you’re looking for a knowledgeable attorney who will approach your legal needs both realistically and with empathy, please schedule a free consultation to speak with me. Hablo español.
I am blessed to have five children, who keep me quite busy when I’m not in the office. As a family, my kids and I are constantly on-the-go, traveling to sports activities and events – karate, swimming, basketball, you name it!
Law Offices of Paula S. Teske & Associates – Los Angeles, CA
- Associate, (Family Law/Dependency). 2012 – Present. Duties have included: Preparation of Request for Orders, Memorandum of Points & Authorities, Legal Briefs, Propound and Answer Discovery/Subpoenas, Pre-Trial Preparation, First/Second Chair on Family Law trials and hearings.
John H. Spurgeon & Associates, CPA, Inc. – Pasadena, CA
- Associate, (Family Law/Tax Law). February 2007 – April 2012. Duties included: Preparation of Orders to Show Cause, Motions, Points & Authorities, OSCs, Motions to Compel, Ex Partes, Declarations of Disclosures, Propound and Answer Discovery; first chair on hearings/trials; litigate cases
Law Office of Richard S. Trugman – Los Angeles, CA
- Associate, (Family Law/Civil). December 2006 – February 2007. Duties included: Prepare Order to Show Cause, Motions, Propound and Answer Discovery and make court appearances.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- Pasadena Family Law Section
- Beverly Hills Family Law Section
- Central District Court of California (CDCA)
- United States Tax Court 2008
- Certified Legal Specialty: Family Law (State of Bar of California)
- Fluent in Spanish and basic French
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA, Juris Doctor, May 2006
- Top 20% Annual Class Rank 2004-2005
- Dean’s List (2004-2005)
- Mexican American Bar Foundation Scholarship Recipient (2005)
- Volunteered for several years for the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law, a non-profit that helps indigent people deal with their Family Law issues
University Of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and Psychology, Spring 2002
- P.A.: 3.51
- Dean’s List (Fall 1999, Spring 2001, Spring 2002)
- Jesse M. Unruth Scholar, (Spring 2002)
- Mabel Wilson Scholarship Recipient, (2000-2002)